Need an easy last minute idea for your July 4th BBQ? Try these patriotic oreos. Simple, sweet, and satisfying! I know that we are going to be enjoying the pool and having some fun in the sun on the fourth. I hope we get to see some fireworks or hit the local minor league baseball game for a night out (that’s what we did last year). This July 4th dessert idea is easy and kid-friendly!
July 4th Dessert
Want the recipe? Keep reading!
These are incredibly easy to make but can get a bit messy since you’re dealing with melted chocolate. However, the end result is SO worth it. These little guys are adorable and quite tasty! Because who doesn’t like Oreos and sprinkles?
- 12 oz. Wilton blue chocolate melts
- 12 Oreo sandwich cookie (any black & white sandwich cookie will suffice)
- 12 candy sticks (located with the Wilton items at major retailers)
- Patriotic sprinkles
- 23 short cups to stand the Oreos up in after dipping
- In a microwave safe dish melt the blue Wilton candy melts in 30 second increments. Stir after every 30 seconds and continue to microwave until melted.
- Let cool 2-3 minutes before dipping the cookies.
- While the chocolate is cooling remove the tops of the Oreos on all 12 cookies and place one candy stick in the middle.
- Take a small teaspoon and scoop a small amount of chocolate on top of the candy stick.
- Replace the top onto the Oreo. The chocolate with harden acting like glue.
- Repeat this step with all 12 Oreos and place on a plate or cookie sheet and set in the fridge to harden for 20 minutes.
- Remove the Oreos from the fridge. If the chocolate has started to harden simply microwave it again in 30 second increments, stirring until melted.
- Using a spoon, dip each Oreo with blue chocolate letting the excess chocolate drip back into the dish. Once it is completely coated stand it up in a short cup or glass to let set.
- Every 12 Oreos you dip, sprinkle with sprinkles before the chocolate sets. Repeat this process with the rest of your cookies.
- Once all the cookies are dipped and sprinkled place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to completely set.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 152mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 4g
The nutritional information here is an estimate. While I try to provide accurate information via Nutritionix, this information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that it will be completely accurate. I am not a certified nutritionist and any information sunnysweetdays.com should only be used as a general guideline.
If you’re decorating for a party, these are a fun dessert to display. Try mason jars wrapped in twine and patriotic ribbon. You can find all those materials at the dollar store to save a few bucks. It’s an easy DIY to infuse some patriotic personality into your party. They pair nicely with the July 4th Fire Shots I shared a few weeks ago!
What are you doing for the 4th?
Want another creative recipe for the 4th? Try these July 4th Fire Shots!