Fourth of July is kind of a big deal. It’s a great holiday to enjoy time with friends and family, there are always fireworks, and barbecues are a must. Last year we spent the 4th watching fireworks after a minor league baseball game, and we were also able to see some fireworks from our house. It was a nice night. I remember I took way too many pictures and had a beer or two. Our son was younger then, so we couldn’t do too much past his strict bedtime. He gets cranky, we get cranky, it’s not good to be in public late!
This year he is almost two, so things will be different. I’m thinking about hosting a pool party (of course!), and serving up a few unique cocktails. Something that I’m just learning to make are gelatin shots. These are easy and certainly alcoholic since they are made with 100 proof hot cinnamon liquor and cinnamon candy. Can you handle the heat?
July 4th Drinks: Fire Shots
You just need a few ingredients to make this “drink.”Print
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 packets Knox gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 8 Cinnamon Fire Jolly Ranchers
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup hot cinnamon liquor
- Red food coloring (optional)
- Prepare molds or a 9×12-inch pan by spraying lightly with oil.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water. Stir briefly and set the mixture aside to soften.
- Put hot water in a microwavable bowl or measuring cup and add the candy. Microwave on high for 2 minutes and stir. (Candy will still be sticky. Just stir the best you can.)
- Continue to microwave at
30 secondintervals, stirring each time until candy is completely melted.
- Add the sugar and the softened gelatin to the hot mixture and stir thoroughly – at least 2 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon liquor (and food coloring, if desired) and pour into molds.
- Refrigerate until completely set – several hours.
- You may need to coax the stars out of the molds with a flat knife or by briefly running warm water over the bottom of the mold.
They can be poured into star shaped ice cube or candy molds, or simply poured into an oiled pan and cut out with small cookie cutters. The process is very easy, and the results are so festive! Keep reading for all the recipe details.
Here’s a closer look at this recipe:
Fire Shots hold up well at room temperature, but I prefer to keep them chilled. And, it goes without saying but keep these away from your kiddos.
[amazon-related-products keywords=”jolly ranchers”]
[amazon-related-products keywords=”star silicon mold”]
Spring Cleaning Planner
Clean and get organized! Download your free spring cleaning printable planner.
Latest posts by Krystal | Sunny Sweet Days (see all)
- Art of Animation at Walt Disney World: Roomy Family Suites - September 23, 2018
- Block Out the Noise: Sony’s New Noise Canceling Headphones - September 22, 2018
- How to Backup Your Travel Photos (and save yourself from a “no space left” cell phone message!) - September 20, 2018