Quick and Easy Spicy Homemade Pho Soup
This post was sponsored by Better Than Bouillon as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
For connoisseurs of pho, they know that the key to the Vietnamese soup is all in the broth.
Pho thai nam is a traditional Vietnamese dish that uses thinly sliced beef, fresh vegetables, and herbs that has its roots in Hanoi street vendors in the early 1900s. Although it is technically a soup, it is hearty with multiple courses served all at once in a bowl. When done right, pho is a symphony of flavor spanning the flavor profile of hot and spicy with a sweet and salty finish. Texture-wise, it combines the crunch of fresh peppers and vegetables with the tenderness of thin rare sliced beef and the slurpy goodness of banh rice noodles.
And while the taste can be extremely complex, it is a remarkably simple recipe. Which is why the difference between fantastic and forgettable pho often comes down to the broth. The broth of traditional pho can often take hours to prepare, requiring the simmering and reduction of a dozen different components to create the unique and flavorful base.
Which is why we were excited for the ultimate shortcut for recreating the complex broth needed to make amazing pho in just a fraction of the time thanks to Better Than Bouillon brand bases. Better Than Bouillon can transform the flavor of your dishes, including pho thai and take your cooking to the next level without spending hours in the kitchen. Better Than Bouillon is a paste concentrate that replaces traditional bouillon cubes or stock broth. It is also extremely versatile and can also be used as a marinade to add flavor to your favorite dishes. Unlike broth cartons, Better Than Bouillon doesn’t expire too quickly and, unlike cubes, it dissolves quickly and doesn’t have the potential to leave a gritty taste to it.
Here’s how Better Than Bouillon can help you make delicious pho thai nam without spending hours on the broth alone. Keep reading to find out how you can win a Better Than Bouillon prize pack or one of nine (9) $50 Visa Gift Cards.
Quick and Easy Spicy Homemade Pho Soup
Quick and easy homemade pho!
- 12 oz. beef sirloin roast
- 8 oz. dried banh rice noodles
- 4 tbsp. BTB beef paste
- 2 tbsp. BTB chili paste
- 1 cup mung been sprouts
- 1/2 cup green onions, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, diced
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 piece ginger, medium
- 1 thai chili pepper
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. teriyaki sauce
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper flakes
- Sriracha sauce (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot, bring six cups water, sugar, garlic, soy, ginger and BTB beef paste to a rolling boil.
- Cut onion into thin slices. Add to broth mixture and cook until onions are near transparent.
- Marinate beef with teriyaki and chili paste.
- In a medium pan, sear beef roast with sesame oil over high heat for 30 seconds on each side. Remove from heat and let cool before cutting into very thin slices. (Note: chill in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to make slicing easier.)
- In a separate pot, bring water to boil and cook noodles (Time varies according to noodle width) and drain.
- To assemble soup bowl, place noodles in a bowl and add 3-4 ounces of beef slices. Pour boiling broth over the top using a soup ladle. Add sprouts, onions, fresh peppers and herbs to bowl. Garnish with lime wedge and a sprig of cilantro. For an extra spicy kick, add sriracha to taste.
- This recipe makes 4-6 servings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 434Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 1412mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 30g
The nutritional information here is an estimate. While I try to provide accurate information via Nutritionix, this information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that it will be completely accurate. I am not a certified nutritionist and any information sunnysweetdays.com should only be used as a general guideline.
By using the Better Than Bouillon as the base for the broth, you can have all the robust, complex flavors that pho soup is known for in as little time as it takes to bring it to a boil. By searing the meat using the BTB chili paste, you are able to add another dimension of flavor and texture to the beef. It’s the ultimate shortcut.
Better Than Bouillon offers comes in a variety of flavors including: Chicken, Beef, Vegetable, Roasted Garlic, Chili, Clam, Fish, Ham, Lobster, Mushroom and Turkey. They also have organic (Roasted Chicken, Mushroom, Turkey, Beef and Vegetable) and vegetarian (Vegetable, Roasted Garlic, Organic Vegetable, Vegetarian No Beef Base, Vegetarian No Chicken Base) options as well as reduced sodium versions of the beef, chicken and vegetable flavors.
Click here to find a retailer nearest you that carries Better Than Bouillon products or order online today.
For more great recipes, don’t forget to follow Better Than Bouillon on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.
- Teriyaki Steak Stir Fry Rolls
- Rainbow Stir Fry Recipe Inspiration: Garlic Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
- Asian Noodle Salad
- Choosing the Best Fitover Sunglasses for Your Outdoor Adventure - March 24, 2023
- 10 Questions to Ask Before Choosing Your Retirement Community - March 24, 2023
- Yoga Therapy and Its Benefits - March 24, 2023