Last call for holiday cookies! The best gifts are the ones that you can EAT, and these Christmas tree sugar cookies do not disappoint. Consider creating a batch and sharing them at your next holiday get together OR wrap them up in cellophane for easy gifting.
These simple sugar cookies are created with star shaped cookie cutters in small, medium, and large. That is how you will get the “stacking” effect of the Christmas tree. Once you bake sugar cookies in a variety of sizes, you’re ready to frost and stack!
Piping bags make frosting SO much easier.
The cookies come to life when you add sprinkles.
- 1 C. butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 C. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 3 C. flour
- green frosting (I used Pillsbury funfetti Holiday green)
- holiday sprinkles
- candy stars
- 3 star shaped cookie cutters (small, medium and large)
- star frosting tip
- disposable piping bag
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, combine the softened butter. Whip until creamy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla extract and egg, continue to mix.
- Sift in the 3 cups of flour and baking powder. The mixture will be stiff so use your hands to finish mixing, if needed.
- Divide the dough into 3-4 smaller batches. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface to about 1/4" thick.
- Use the star cookie cutters to cut the same number of stars in each size.
- Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2" a part.
- Place the cookies in the oven.
- Set a timer for 3-4 minutes and remove the cookie sheet from the oven and remove the smallest stars from the cookie sheet.
- Place the cookie sheet back into the oven.
- Set the timer for another 2 minutes and then remove the medium size stars.
- Place the cookie sheet back into the oven for the large stars to finish baking another 2-3 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool. Attach the frosting tip to the disposable piping bag and fill with frosting. starting with the largest star, generously frost each cookie and stack from largest to smallest.
- Top the small star cookie with frosting, add a star and holiday sprinkles.
- Repeat with the rest of the cookies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 730Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 542mgCarbohydrates: 95gFiber: 2gSugar: 44gProtein: 8g
The nutritional information here is an estimate. While I try to provide accurate information via Nutritionix, this information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that it will be completely accurate. I am not a certified nutritionist and any information sunnysweetdays.com should only be used as a general guideline.
Here’s to a happy holiday!
Christmas Cookie Recipes:
Control the Christmas Chaos!
Get organized for the holidays with this printable Christmas planner.
- How to Make a Mojito: Peach Mojito Cocktail Recipe 🍑 - July 11, 2020
- Yummy Desserts Perfect for Summer - July 8, 2020
- How To Make The Most Of Your Next Holiday Adventure - July 7, 2020