If you’ve been reading my blog for any amount of time, you know that we are DOG people. At one time, we had THREE rescue animals. While we have had to say goodbye to two of our furry friends over the past three years, we still have one lovable chow mix named Kamikaze. He is a giant ball of fur who enjoys lazy days licking the tile and special treats. These homemade dog treats are easy for him to eat, and they don’t make him have an upset tummy (almost everything makes him sick these days!). These treats are Kamikaze approved!
You may already have all the ingredients in your pantry for this recipe. You need a sweet potato, an apple, apple sauce, eggs, and whole wheat flour. An easy way to cook the sweet potato is by poking holes in it with a fork, and microwaving it for a few minutes. Once it is cool, you can scoop out the insides!
Look for fun cookie cutters to make your treats, like this dog bone shaped one. Mix sweet potato, apple, flour, apple sauce, and eggs in a bowl. The batter will appear to be crumbly, but it should hold together fine. If it does not, add a little more apple sauce. Mine looked crumbly (as shown) but held together perfectly. Roll dough onto a floured surface and cut out shapes with a cookie cutter. Or, try using a pizza cutter to cut squares.
- 1 sweet potato, cooked, skin removed and mashed
- 1/2 apple, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare your sweet potato first: Poke holes in it with a fork, place on a microwave safe dish and microwave for 5 minutes. Remove, cool, cut open and scoop out insides.
- Mix sweet potato, apple, flour, apple sauce and eggs in a bowl. Batter will appear to be crumbly but should hold together fine. If it does not, add a little more apple sauce. Mine looked crumbly (as shown) but held together fine.
- Roll dough onto a floured surface and cut out shapes with a cookie cutter. Or use a pizza cutter to cut squares.
- Bake 35 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 19mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g
The nutritional information here is an estimate. While I try to provide accurate information via Nutritionix, this information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that it will be completely accurate. I am not a certified nutritionist and any information sunnysweetdays.com should only be used as a general guideline.
Do you like to make your own dog treats?