I’m just going to come right out and say it. Sugar cookies aren’t my favorite. I’d much rather indulge in chocolate desserts, like fudge or brownies. However, there is just something refreshing about lemon sugar cookies. They remind me of summer, and they seem to fit right in after a fresh Florida meal of fish and vegetables.
They are ridiculously easy to make, and you probably have the ingredients on hand already. Break out your measuring cups. Let’s bake!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- While the oven is heating, cream together butter and sugar for 30 seconds in a large mixing bowl.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix in baking soda and cream of tartar on low speed for 10 seconds.
- While the mixer is low speed, add in egg yolks (one at a time) and continue to mix until incorporated.
- Stir in vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- One everything is combined, add in the flour 1/2 cup at a time and stir until all flour is incorporated. Try to not over mix.
- Drop dough by the tablespoon on a parchment-covered baking sheet and (using your hands) roll each one into a ball. Cookies will spread during baking, so be sure to leave 3-4 inches between each one.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes or until edges are very slightly browned.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes before removing cookies from the pan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 664Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 174mgSodium: 460mgCarbohydrates: 88gFiber: 1gSugar: 59gProtein: 6g
The nutritional information here is an estimate. While I try to provide accurate information via Nutritionix, this information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that it will be completely accurate. I am not a certified nutritionist and any information sunnysweetdays.com should only be used as a general guideline.
This recipe gets you light cookies with just a hint of lemon. It’s a sweet mix of tart lemon flavor and sugar.
Before all the fall treats start to roll in, whip up a batch of these cookies. I’ve got my plate piled high with leftovers, but I know my husband and son will enjoy them this weekend. I’m off to another blog conference, but this time I’m heading to a one-day event. Blog Fete has an impressive panel of party planners, designers, and women business owners, and I can’t wait to hear their experiences in growing their businesses.