Since I live in Florida, a key lime pie is our signature dessert. I have great memories of enjoying this treat up and down the Florida Gulf coast, and I clearly have my favorite key lime pie recipe. Not only that, we have discovered the BEST place to get a key lime pie. Ever since we got engaged, my husband and I head to Islamorada in the Florida Keys and stop at the Rain Barrel. It’s a place on the side of the road with artwork, a giant lobster (seriously!), and the best key lime pie my husband and I have ever had. So, when I asked my husband this week what kind of desserts he wanted to try, I wasn’t surprised when he said he was craving a key lime pie. But, not just any pie, one with dark chocolate. I had the opportunity to try Dove Dark Chocolate, and I had just the perfect idea for a cool and tart treat.
These key lime parfaits didn’t require a lot of prep work, and the oven doesn’t even have to be turned on. After thirty minutes in the fridge, these were kind of my favorite dessert I’ve ever made. The homemade whipped cream is a special touch, and the key limes were a fun find at my local grocery store.
Using graham crackers and dark chocolate, the combination was an experience to remember. I wanted to create a simple enough recipe that any party hostess can whip up before the next soiree or a busy mom can tackle before bedtime. I think I managed to do just that! The overall preparation time was somewhere around 20 minutes.
After thirty minutes (at least) in the fridge, your parfaits will have cooled. The chocolate was so delicious after hardening up a bit, and it was the perfect complement to the key lime flavor. So, you’re looking at maybe an hour to create these Florida-inspired desserts. I’d say that’s a win, right?
Don’t forget the key limes (or the chocolate)! The chocolate is key to making this dessert a unique twist on a Florida favorite.
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup of fresh key lime juice (or lime juice)
- 1 cup of homemade whipped cream
- 2 cups of cold heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Create the graham cracker "crust" first. Use a food processor to finely chop the graham crackers.
- Melt butter in a small skillet. Mix in brown sugar and stir. After a minute or so, add the graham cracker crumbs.
- Stir for a minute or two and remove from heat. The crumbs will darken in color. Let cool.
- Next, make the key lime pie cream. Stir condensed milk and the lime juice in a large bowl. Set aside and make whipped cream.
- For the whipped cream topping, use a mixer to beat two cups of whipping cream in a bowl until stiff peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Continue whipping.
- Once the whipped cream is done, add 1 cup of the whipped cream into the key lime pie cream mixture.
- Save the leftover whipped cream to top each parfait.
- Melt Dove Dark Chocolate. Each parfait needs about 8 melted Dove Dark chocolate pieces.
- Assemble your parfaits by adding graham cracker crumbs, key lime pie cream mixture, melted chocolate, and whipped cream.
- Refrigerate for at least thirty minutes.
- Top each parfait with whipped cream and garnish with a lime wedge.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 677Total Fat: 57gSaturated Fat: 36gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 172mgSodium: 101mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 6g
The nutritional information here is an estimate. While I try to provide accurate information via Nutritionix, this information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that it will be completely accurate. I am not a certified nutritionist and any information sunnysweetdays.com should only be used as a general guideline.
While my husband enjoyed these at home on a warm afternoon, the recipe is easy to double or triple for a home party. I can imagine these being the hit at any summer BBQ, especially if you create them in mini mason jars! You can encourage guests to top them with their favorite toppings, or even better, let guests create their own parfaits! Maybe someone wants extra chocolate or no whipped cream. I’m already daydreaming about a DIY parfait bar….