Easy Irish Soda Bread Recipe
While it may seem cliche to post an Irish Soda Bread recipe so close to St. Patrick’s Day, I just had to share this one. This is a quick and easy recipe with a non-traditional twist.
An authentic Irish Soda Bread recipe uses flour, baking soda, salt, and buttermilk and gives you a dense, crusty and non-sweet bread. This recipe, that was given to me by my aunt for my bridal shower, adds in sugar, eggs, butter and, of course, raisins, to give it a more sweet taste and cake-like texture. There’s also good amounts of baking soda and baking powder that give it more height. My aunt makes this delicious recipe every year and it’s such a treat! I think of it more like a dessert than a bread.
Doesn’t it look like a cake? It’s even more yummy slathered in butter!
How do you make Irish soda bread?
I’m all for simple recipes that don’t require pulling out the Kitchen-Aid mixer and dirtying a ton of dishes, so this is perfect for an easy St. Patrick’s Day treat. One bowl to combine your dry ingredients, add in your raisins and wet ingredients, pour it all into a greased pan and bake. Also, no kneading is required!
Irish Soda Bread
A fast way to enjoy Irish soda bread!
- 3 1/2 cups sifted flour*
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/5 cups raisins
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbs melted butter
- Sift together all dry ingredients.
- Add raisins, mixing well to coat with flour.
- Combine eggs with buttermilk and butter and beat. Add to dry ingredients and mix lightly until dry ingredients are all moistened. Pour batter into a greased 8 1/2" layer pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- * I hate sifting, so I combined all of my dry ingredients into a bowl and whisked.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 759Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 1525mgCarbohydrates: 151gFiber: 5gSugar: 57gProtein: 19g
The nutritional information here is an estimate. While I try to provide accurate information via Nutritionix, this information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that it will be completely accurate. I am not a certified nutritionist and any information sunnysweetdays.com should only be used as a general guideline.
Do you eat Irish Soda Bread on St. Patrick’s Day?
Make sure to stop by and print off this St. Patrick’s Day Bucket List to help you celebrate!
- 4 Facts You Didn’t Know About Red Light Therapy - March 18, 2023
- The Top 4 Strategies for Training and Managing Your Dog’s Behavior - March 18, 2023
- These 5 Factors Can Influence Compensation in Truck Accidents - March 18, 2023