Since our son is becoming more aware of what the holidays mean, I am trying to create family traditions that we can look forward to year after year. One of my favorite things to do every December is bake. Whether it’s gingerbread men or cupcakes, I love decorative frosting and sprinkles. When I saw Hallmark Northpole gifts, I fell in love with the whimsical baking set called “Bake Like an Elf.” Not only was it perfect to include in this year’s baking festivities, it makes the perfect kid for our cousins who are between the ages of six and 12. Inspired by the recipes that came with the Hallmark set, we set out to bake dark chocolate gingerbread cookies.
Though baking cookies isn’t the only thing you can do with Hallmark gifts. Consider throwing a holiday party for children and try out some of their activities!
Bake Like an Elf:
My favorite activity would be to bake like an elf. Introduce tiny hands to chef measurements with elf shoes and measuring cups built for children (or elves).
This set comes with recipe cards to help guide your holiday baking.
I knew I wanted to make gingerbread cookies, and I loved the easy recipe for gingerbread men that was included.
I tweaked Sparkle’s Gingerbread Cookie recipe idea to create gingerbread cookies topped with dark chocolate and sprinkles.
They key was to roll the dough into one inch balls before baking.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp molasses
- 1 tsp ginger
- 3 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 bag of dark chocolate chips
- red sprinkles
- Use a mixer to combine shortening, sugar, egg, molasses, and vinegar.
- In another large mixing bowl, sift flour, soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and ground cloves together.
- Add these ingredients to the other mixture and combine.
- Place the dough in the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Roll the chilled dough into one inch balls spaced about an inch apart on a large baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 6 to 9 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 446Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 247mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 7g
The nutritional information here is an estimate. While I try to provide accurate information via Nutritionix, this information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that it will be completely accurate. I am not a certified nutritionist and any information sunnysweetdays.com should only be used as a general guideline.
Our cousins are going to love receiving these as a gift and playing with them at our holiday get together. Bake enough cookies so everyone can take a batch home too.
Do you bake with your family over the holidays? What’s your favorite holiday cookie?
- Christmas Tree Pancakes
- Christmas Tree Cinnamon Rolls | Easy Christmas Breakfast Ideas
- Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies
Christmas Decor Guide
Score your free holiday decor guide.
- Traveling The World In 2020? Here’s What You Need To Know - August 5, 2020
- Cotton Candy Vodka Cocktail: Ice Cream Cocktail Shake - July 30, 2020
- Travel Safety Tips Post Pandemic - July 30, 2020