Health and wellness is a topic that is on my mind every day. I won’t lie–I definitely have let myself “go” after having my son. It has been a difficult few years with moving and job changes, but every day is a chance to start. The hardest part is starting, right? I have purchased a few tools recently to help get me on my feet and moving, and I also stocked up on everyday household items like Kleenex and water to stay hydrated.
Summer is unbearably hot here in Florida, so workouts are minimal outdoors. I just can’t handle the heat. Luckily winter is here, and it is much easier to pencil in some activity outdoors. Cool sea breezes and early sunrises will motivate me to get moving early in the day. There are a few ways to make the most of our the city you live in, and I’m lucky that Florida has so many options for getting fit!
Stay Healthy in Florida With These Tips
1. Hit the beach. This one is kind of a no-brainer! Walk the sand, dip your toes in the ocean, and enjoy the air. I have a few beaches near me including Clearwater, Treasure Island, and Saint Petersburg. Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean you can’t walk the beach!
2. Walk around the outlets. We have both indoor and outdoor outlets here in sunny Florida. I live about two blocks from an outdoor outlet mall, and it is the perfect place to get exercise, shop, and enjoy the weather!
3. Enjoy seasonal farmers markets. This idea is two-fold. Not only are you out and about getting activity, but you are also able to buy fresh fruits and vegetables. Whole foods are SO important to Whole 30. This is my go-to plan for healthy eating. It helps me stay on track, eat clean foods, and experiment with my recipes. These three books (It Starts With Food, Well Fed, and Well Fed 2 are always on display in my kitchen. I reference them constantly!
4. Track your steps. I recently got a fancy pedometer to start tracking my steps, my sleep habits, and I even set reminders to drink more water with it. I have it synced to my iPhone, and I enjoy using this app to see my daily progress.
Another way that I track my daily fitness is with a journal. I love the Emily Ley journal, and it’s large size and lined pages make it easy to use.
I particularly like the “Today I feel…” section. It helps me go back and see how I felt after brisk activity (or no activity at all!). I (obviously) feel much better on days where I ate healthily and had some kind of activity.
5. Have everything you need for healthy living at home. Whenever the new year comes, I make sure to stock up on all my essentials for healthy living throughout the year! One tip I have to share is that if you bulk Kleenex online you can get free 2-day shipping! We decided to shop in store and saw MANY options.
It’s important to have everything on hand BEFORE you get sick and not as an after thought! Be sure to take care of yourself so that you can enjoy more time with your family. Kleenex kills 99.9% of cold and flu viruses in the tissue and the active ingredients in the middle layer disrupt the viruses’ protective coating and kill 99.9% of cold and flu viruses in the tissue within 15 minutes!
How do you get fit in your city? What are your healthy habits?
Join Sunny Sweet Days, my FREE online community to stay in touch for busy women! We talk about organization, home decor, health and wellness, simplicity, time management and more.