It can be a total bummer when your perfectly planned beach vacation gets completely rained out. You were anticipating sunny days spent sipping cocktails on the beach, but instead are expected to somehow entertain kids with cabin fever! Fear not: there are plenty of things to do in Panama City Beach when you can’t soak in the sun. I know because it rained every day except for one during my recent trip with my son. We found ways to enjoy our time there and had an unforgettable time in the process. Here are 5 things to do when it rains on your beach vacation.
So, it’s raining! What do you do in Panama City Beach?
- Go to Rock’It Lanes. This bowling alley, mega arcade, roller rink, and sports bar all-in-one is a fun destination for the whole family. You’ll be entertained for hours (and unlike some family fun centers, this place is clean and new)! The bowling area has leather couches and state-of-the-art technology. There’s glow-in-the-dark bowling, and you can bowl to a choreographed laser light show, too! Afterward, head over to the facility’s 8,000 square-foot roller skating rink and enjoy all-day skating for $9 (roller skates included)! Next, get competitive in the 10,000 square-foot arcade, which has all the newest games, as well as the classics. Kids can save up their redemption tokens for big-ticket items (like bikes and Play Stations), which is nice for frequent visitors. Play the games at half price on Tuesdays. Parents will especially love the sports bar, where you have to be 21 to enter. There are specials daily and a surprisingly big selection on beer available. Rock’It Lanes has a Cici’s Pizza Buffet on location, and a grille serving sandwiches and the like, too. Check their website for other specials before you go.
- Eat, drink, and be merry! Panama City Beach has tons of restaurants to choose from, and you’ll be in heaven if you’re a seafood, Cajun cuisine, or Caribbean fare lover in particular. Many of the restaurants are award-winning and some have even been featured on the Travel Channel. Even if the weather outside is frightful…you can still enjoy the beach through spectacular waterfront views while staying dry. We sat outside at Spinnaker (covered, of course!) and loved the rainy day beach view! Check out my list of favorite Panama City Beach restaurants here.
- Explore your resort. On our vacation, we stayed at the Edgewater Beach & Golf Resort, which has so much to do. How often do you actually take advantage of all these hotels have to offer when you’ve got a beautiful beach in your backyard? Check out the wellness center and take a fitness class! I discovered that Edgewater offers 35% off spa services on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Why not indulge in a seaweed sensation body wrap, sea salt glow exfoliation treatment, or hot stone massage? But I might have also kept it simple and ordered room service to enjoy the sounds and sights of the rain on the beach from the comfort of my private, covered balcony.
- Go shopping. You can’t visit this beachside city without visiting Pier Park! This 900,000+ square foot shopping center and entertainment hub is well-known as one of the best in Northwest Florida. Bring an umbrella or poncho and you’ll stay dry.
- Discover Wonder Works. Your kids will have a blast and learn a thing or two with a visit to this unique attraction. Part children’s museum, part family fun center, this place has an indoor ropes course, rides, and several interactive science and art related “zones” to explore. Click here to read all about the adventures that await you there.
Rain happens in Florida…sometimes EVERY day especially in the summer. Be prepared with a backup plan in case you need it. It usually will rain in the afternoons, so do your outdoor activities early if you can.
Spring Cleaning Planner
Clean and get organized! Download your free spring cleaning printable planner.
Latest posts by Chel Guild (see all)
- Celebrate National Hot Breakfast Month - February 5, 2018
- Panama City Beach: What to Do When it Rains on Your Vacation - October 19, 2017