Do you find it difficult to locate photos or documents on your computer? Does your laptop freeze often or take forever to load your favorite programs and software? If either of these is true, it may be time to declutter and upgrade your machine! Keeping your computer free of unnecessary info and organized will make your life much easier – and less frustrating when you need to find something. I was able to upgrade my device to an Intel 2in1 machine, and things are much faster! I can easily switch between tablet and laptop mode, I have my own virtual assistant, and it’s a simple system to use. Are you ready to declutter your computer? Here’s how!
1. Remove icons from your desktop. If there is one thing that will slow down your computer or make it difficult to find anything, it’s a fully loaded home screen. Consider only keeping five icons on your desktop (your most used programs or folders) and delete the rest. You can always get to other things you need from the start menu. When you use the latest Windows 10 on your new machine, you can have virtual desktops. If you’re a gamer, it’s simple to stream games. The operating system is clean and familiar, and it is a cinch to install.
2. Change the location of where items are saved when downloaded. Often the default is your desktop or main documents folder. If possible, create a “Downloads” folder on your desktop and set photos and files to automatically be saved there. You can easily find them and they won’t clutter up your computer that way. I change the location of where my downloads go monthly. I have a 2015 folder inside my documents and each month of the year has its own folder. It’s easy for me to stay organized that way! I make sure to download all my files to the current month’s folder.
3. Folders are your friend – use them! The “My Documents” folder can easily become a stockpile of every PDF, Word document, and image you wish to save for future reference. Creating subfolders in this section will make things much more organized, and allow you to sort through the unneeded documents much faster. Idea: Have separate folders for things you save most, including recipes, schoolwork, bills, family photos, and more.
4. Schedule time to remove old files each month. Create a time to go through your computer monthly so you keep the clutter to a minimum. Use this clean to uninstall programs you no longer need and browse through your folders to delete any files you don’t want. Regular maintenance of your home computer keeps it neat and tidy!
5. Store your most used documents online. Keeping frequently used files on the Internet is a great way to free up space on your computer. Trust the cloud!
6. An external hard drive is another great storage option. If you have family photos or other documents that do not need to be looked at often, consider moving them off your home computer completely. This not only frees up your device’s memory, but makes it easier to find what you need, when you need it. An external hard drive easily connects to your computer so you can move the files over and keep them safe until they are needed again.
This Toshiba laptop is simple to use, and it is a BREEZE for blogging. It’s fast and efficient, and I can take it on the go to events. I find that it is most helpful for conferences or blog meetings since I can use it for notes, and then put it in presentation mode to show off a presentation. I can’t wait to use it this year for other blog projects, and I will be sharing my tech tips and trainings for bloggers with this machine right here on the blog!
What is your best tip for blogging on the go or how to declutter your computer?
[amazon-related-products keywords=”office organization”]
Join Sunny Sweet Days, my FREE online community to stay in touch for busy women! We talk about organization, home decor, health and wellness, simplicity, time management and more.
Latest posts by Krystal | Sunny Sweet Days (see all)
- Marvel Studios’ BLACK PANTHER…. Ticket Sales Breaking Records! - January 18, 2018
- Asian Cucumber Salad Recipe - January 17, 2018
- Easy Breakfast Idea: Alaska Salmon Cream Cheese - January 15, 2018