When you work hard all day with your head and know you must work again the next day, what else can change your ideas and make them run on a different plane like whiskey? When you are cold and wet, what else can warm you? – Ernest Hemingway
It’s been raining for three days straight. A tropical system has parked itself just off the coast of Florida, throwing wave after wave of angry gray skies over the horizon. It’s the kind of rain that blots out the sun for days on end. The kind of rain that looks like nothing on quick glance out the window, but will soak you straight to the bone for such a mundane task as taking the day’s trash to the curb. This weather brings out two sides of a man’s emotions. On one hand, it brings respite at the end of a long, laborious week; an opportunity to wash away the built-up flotsam and carry it downriver to open seas, far and way from consciousness. It is a chance to breath that salty ocean air, tinged with the sweet after smell of rain carried from foreign lands.
On the other is frustration. There is work to be done. The joy of pleasure soured is by the realization that the lawn will be twice as high next weekend. So, we are left to watch as the droplets of rain leaves tiny circles on the water’s surface. Tiny waves radiate out and disappear into the next. Watch as the palm fronds sway in the intermittent gusts of wind. As Hemingway wrote, that’s all we do, isn’t it – look at things and try new drinks? If you are hosting a rainy day get together at your home or entertaining guests indoors, try creating this simple whiskey cocktail. It’s sweet enough to be enjoyed by everyone, but it’s manly enough to please your male guests!
Here’s a drink for days such as this. Something to make you forget the adage that work not finished today means twice as much for tomorrow, yet still embracing your personal moment in the present. It is the kind of drink Hemingway’s Harry Morgan might have sipped on as he sat in a rocking chair on his porch in the Florida Keys while a tropical front washed out his weekend of marlin fishing charters during the height of season.
If you really want the full effect, put a cat on your lap while your hunting dog sleeps at your feet. Tell some tall tales of wars and women and wahoo fishing. Smoke a cigar and read the sports section of today’s newspaper.
It’s not like there’s a choice to do much else.
- Jameson Irish Whiskey
- Cinnamon sticks
- Key limes
- In a small tumbler, pour one part whiskey over cubed ice.
- Add in two parts soda.
- Cut ends off lime and stick a cinnamon stick through it.
- Cut additional slits in lime to allow juices to seep out.
Try creating your own rainy day cocktail for home entertaining with 7-UP®, Canada Dry®, Squirt®, Malibu®, Jameson® Irish Whiskey, and Avión™ Tequila. 7UP, Canada Dry, and Squirt bring the spirit of summer fun to Safeway and Albertsons with easy to make cocktails and unique ideas for summer fun! Whether you have a pool party or a camping trip to plan for, you can take this whiskey soda beverage with you to enjoy.
1. Create a fun dessert. You can make simple fruity popsicles in a plastic mold to match the theme and flavor of your party. I created lemon lime pops to match the whiskey soda cocktail recipe.
2. Let guests serve themselves. I love to make cocktails in large drink dispensers so that everyone can serve themselves. It’s more fun!
3. Stock up on paper goods. I love having striped straws and cute decor to match the party theme.
4. Make your own party decor in a pinch. You can use scrapbook paper, PicMonkey for easy online photo editing, or even ETSY for fast party decor! I like to create party printables in PicMonkey when I’m in a hurry (just add text to an 8 x 10 template), ETSY has party decor you can order in a flash, or you can use scrapbook paper to add color to your event.
Since I served popsicles and cocktails, I made a simple popsicle garland to decorate.
5. Have fresh flowers. It adds a bit of color to an otherwise dreary day! At least, for us, in Florida!
I shopped at Albertsons to grab my cocktail mixers, and I love having a fully stocked bar with their liquor selection. Grab your perfect mix!
What’s your favorite summer party cocktail?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of DPSG Green Bottle at Safeway/Albertsons. The opinions and text are all mine.
Control the Christmas Chaos!
Get organized for the holidays with this printable Christmas planner.
Latest posts by Krystal | Sunny Sweet Days (see all)
- Christmas Tree Cinnamon Rolls | Easy Christmas Breakfast Ideas - December 6, 2018
- Quick Cranberry Pancakes - December 5, 2018
- The Best Family Friendly Day Trips to Take in Mexico - December 4, 2018