Captiva Island is my happy place. While it’s closer to my home than other beach destinations by boat, it’s actually much further away due to the roadways! It’s two (short) bridges away, but it ends up being about an hour or so drive. It is SO worth it no matter what distance you’re traveling though! There is something about Captiva Island that is…captivating? It has the charm of a Florida beach town but the amenities of a beautiful resort thanks to South Seas Resort. With restaurants and hotel rooms available, South Seas is the perfect place to stay so that you can enjoy everything this beautiful island in southwest Florida has to offer.
5 Things to Do on Captiva Island
1. Enjoy the beach and go shelling. My favorite part of the beach on Captiva Island is actually on South Seas Island Resort’s property. I used to work part time for a photographer and saw many weddings get photographed on this beautiful stretch of sand called Sunset Point. It is the very tip of the island, so there’s water all around you.
You can see North Captiva Island in the distance, and there is a rocky shore that is perfect for fishing. This part of the beach alone would make me book a room at South Seas, and I’m a local!
South Seas Island Resort
Captiva Island is quaint, so there aren’t many options for lodging. Trust me, that’s a GOOD thing. There’s only one place you WANT to stay! South Seas Island Resort is located right on the Gulf of Mexico, and they have a wide variety of rooms in all sizes. From guest rooms to condos and cottages, there is something to fit your family and budget. They have dining on site, and two and a half miles of beautiful beach. You can’t come to southwest Florida and NOT go shelling. I never really cared much for mollusks as a child, but I so appreciate their beauty as an adult. Now, I want to find shells that are harder to see or ones that are unique. Scour the sand for treasures of the sea. Just make sure that you put them back in their home if they’re still living.
When I recently stopped by South Seas, I had the opportunity to tour the property and take photographs of nature. Sebrie Images took us around and showed us all the hot spots!
We were SO lucky on our trip. We saw dolphins, birds, and even manatees. Watching the dolphins play in the surf between Captiva Island and North Captiva Island was a treat!
2. Watch the sunset at Mucky Duck. If you need a place to watch the sunset, Mucky Duck is a great spot to sit. They have picnic tables outdoors along with live music during season.
There’s bars inside and out so you never have to wait too long for a drink. The food is pretty standard Florida fare, though they DO have duck fingers. That’s a unique appetizer!
3. Take family photos. Well, you know, you can’t not have a family photo when you’re on vacation. You might as well book a session so that you have professional pictures in a hurry. Sebrie Images Photography captures beach portrait photography that goes beyond the traditional to become cherished art for the modern family right on property. They have a team of talented photographers who know just where to capture your special family memories. The photos are nothing cheesy — they are awesome relaxed natural settings!
You can find them right on property in their studio or call ahead to book.
4. Have a slice of cake at The Bubble Room. Splurge a little and have dessert at The Bubble Room. This kitschy restaurant celebrates Christmas all year round. Their decor is bright, crazy, and might not make any sense.
It’s an adorable little restaurant that is a Captiva Island classic. The servers dress up like “scouts,” and everyone is so cheerful!
5. Take a sailboat trip around the island. The best way to enjoy the water is to get in it! Take a fishing trip or a sailboat sail to get a better view of the Florida shore. I’ve personally taken trips on Captiva Cruises before and had a wonderful time.
P.S. Don’t forget to have a fruity cocktail. Relax with a cool cocktail. South Seas Island Resort has several places to get a drink including a poolside tiki bar. They also have a TON of other activities to keep you busy!
- Three pools including H2Whoa! family waterpark
- Skully’s Family Interactive Center including Activities Galley, Little Matey’s Discovery Center, Skully’s Arcade and Scoutabout Headquarters
- Sanibel Sea School offering experiential sea based education programs and exploration of the vibrant ecosystems of Captiva Island
- Swimtastics offering learn to swim programs, mermaid camp, water Pilates
- Sunny Island Water Sports including waverunners, parasailing and stand-up paddlboards
- Kay Casperson Lifestyle Spa & Boutique a stunning 4,000-square-foot spa and salon
- Guided Kayak Tours for the entire family
- The Yacht Harbour and Marina for vessels up to 120 feet
- Fishing charters surf casting and shore casting
- Daily cruises in the Gulf of Mexico
- Two golf courses on-site golf at The Captiva Course and The Dunes Golf & Tennis Club in Sanibel
- Pavel & Blackwood Tennis Academy Certified Head Professionals offering clinics, lessons, and matchmaking
- “Go!” South Seas Programs including Go! FISH with resident fishing experts and Go! SAIL with Offshore Sailing School
- Bicycle Golf Cart and Boat Rentals
- Interval and whole ownership opportunities
What’s your favorite vacation destination?
[amazon-related-products keywords=”beach towels”]
Take Control of Your Day!
Snag a free report to help you get organized PLUS access to my Trello template to show you how to implement these strategies in your everyday life.