Spring is in the air and before you know it, the smell of freshly grown strawberries will be too! Since I live in Florida, we have some of the best seasonal strawberries you will ever find. Plant City is famous for their strawberries, and we have a festival each and every year. The smell of strawberries is with me all year since it’s usually my go to fragrance, lip gloss flavor, and candle scent! To take my love of strawberries one step further, try making this homemade play dough! The sweet scent will remind you that spring is here, and kids will love forming it into all sorts of unique shapes. Here is how you can make your own for a fun afternoon activity.
- 1 cup of white flour
- 1/2 cup of table salt
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 7-10 drops of red food coloring
- 1 packet of strawberry flavored drink mix
- White, red, or pink glitter or sprinkles
- Mixing bowl
- Begin by mixing the flour, salt, oil, cream of tartar, and water in the mixing bowl. Continue mixing until a soft dough forms.
- Add in the packet of strawberry drink mix. Knead it into the dough until well dispersed.
- Drop in 7-10 drops of red food coloring. Knead it into the dough so the swirl effect is made. Roll the dough into a ball and continue to knead it in your palms to disperse the color. Don’t worry about dispersing the color evenly, as you want it to be two toned as shown.
- We topped our play dough with a sprinkling of sugar sprinkles. You can do the same or use glitter if you prefer. It just adds a little extra sparkle.
See how easy making your own strawberry swirl dough can be? It is pretty to look at, smells great, and is a great way to get into spring. Try making a batch with your children!
Looking for more play dough recipes?
Do you have a favorite springtime craft or recipe?
[amazon-related-products keywords=”play dough”]
Take Control of Your Day!
Snag a free report to help you get organized PLUS access to my Trello template to show you how to implement these strategies in your everyday life.