Once I did a Whole 30 and discovered what coconut oil was, I never went back! I have used coconut oil in my cooking almost exclusively over the past year, and I have recently learned that you can so much more with this magical elixir. From cleaning to cosmetics, take a look at what you can do with coconut oil!
1. Condition wood. Not only can you add a bit of coconut oil to a soft rag to polish your wood furniture, but it is also a great conditioner for wooden cutting boards and spoons. l
2. Emulsified in coffee. I raised my eyebrows at this one at first, but the longer I thought about it I was intrigued. Instead of cream and sugar, you emulsify coconut oil and unsalted butter into your coffee. I’m willing to give it a try since I do like coconut milk in my coffee as a creamer!
3. Oil pulling. This has been around for years but has become an even bigger trend lately. The premise is that you swish about 2 teaspoons of organic, natural coconut oil around in your mouth for about 20 minutes then spit it out, rinse with water, and brush as normal. This is said to reduce bacteria, plaque, and toxins while whitening teeth. I tried it for a few days. I mean, it might have worked. Who knows? I might start up again out of curiousity.
4. Hair Mask. Have dry or brittle hair? Coconut oil works as a wonderful hair treatment. Heat three to five tablespoons (depending on length and thickness of your hair) in the microwave until just melted. Allow it to cool and brush through hair to the ends. Wrap your head up in a towel or plastic bag for a minimum of one hour. If you can, keep it in overnight! Wash as usual, and you shouldn’t even need a conditioner.
5. Body scrubs or butters. A lot of homemade body scrubs or butters call for olive oil. Use coconut oil in its place with various combinations of shea butter, cocoa butter, or sugar to create a safe homemade version of store favorites.
6. Baking. Use an equal amount of virgin coconut oil in place of butter in baking recipes. If the recipe wants you to use melted butter, try melted coconut oil. If it calls for softened butter, then use the same consistency in coconut oil. This is a great way to reduce sodium and saturated fat in your favorite recipes.
7. Diet supplement for pets. If your pets have dry skin, eczema or allergies give them teaspoon or so a day and you will see a difference in their coat and skin. It moisturizes and heals from the inside out.
8. Use as a massage oil. Coconut oil makes a wonderful naturally scented massage oil. It absorbs well into the skin and leaves you feeling moisturized!
9. Eye makeup remover. Just a dab of coconut oil on a cotton pad will wipe away all eye makeup. Just rinse and pat dry afterward.
10. Protect and shine car interiors. Wipe down your leather or vinyl interior with a soft cloth dipped in coconut oil. Don’t miss these Car Care For Road Trips to help you organize your car!
11. Diaper rash cream. Organic coconut oils is antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antifungal, making it a great natural cure for diaper rash and other ailments. It also acts as an emollient to protect tender skin from rubbing and wetness. Just rub on a good coat and fan to dry before putting on a fresh diaper.
What do you use coconut oil for?