With retailers marking down their prices and competing to get your business, this is the best time of year to take advantage of holiday sales to buy things at a discounted rate. But, what if you could save even more money on your purchases? After being a seasoned shopper these past few years, I have a few tips that can help you never pay shipping again, earn cash back on your purchases, and slash overall costs!
1. Never, ever pay shipping. I firmly believe that you should never pay shipping for your online purchases. I understand that shipping can be expensive for the merchant, but I just hate the added cost just to get a product. Products are already marked up, so why should I have to pay even more to ship it? I recently discovered FreeShipping.com which gives its members shipping rebates that pay members back if they’re charged shipping fees on purchases made through our website. That’s a steal! I know that over the course of the year that this would be well worth it.
It is easy to use their online rebate center to claim your shipping charges. Just use their website when you shop to get started.
2. Use coupon codes. I always look for coupon codes before committing to a purchase. A few extra minutes on Google looking up a code is so worth it, but you can also use FreeShipping.com to find coupon codes before you buy. I like that this is a one stop shopping destination, and I don’t have to worry about anything else.
3. Earn cash back when you can. FreeShipping.com members earn 10% cash back on purchases they make at over 1,000 top retailers, like Walmart, Kohl’s, Nordstrom, Best Buy, ProFlowers, and more — in addition to free shipping, free returns, and price protection! Members can save 10% cash back on each purchase — automatically!
FreeShipping.com will be offering 20% cash back at five different retailers per day from Black Friday (November 28) through Cyber Monday (December 1). Some participating retailers include Walmart, QVC, Sears, Children’s Place, Gap, and Nordstrom.
- Members simply log in, click on any participating retailer’s offer, and make their purchases as they normally would.
- As soon as the retailer notifies us that a member’s item has shipped, we’ll apply 10% of the total purchase (minus taxes and other fees) to the member’s Savings Center account, where members can track their cash-back and rebate earnings over time.
- At the end of every calendar quarter, we’ll tally up each individual member’s 10% cash-back earning over the previous three months and send them a check for all their earnings in that time span.
4. Stick to a list. I usually make a shopping list right about this time that I stick to no matter what. I try to pick our four items per person, and I shop around and wait for the right price. I have sometimes found that Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales are generous, but the week before Christmas can be a surprise savings spree as well! I used to wait until the weekend before Christmas to buy presents (true procrastinator!), but I have also found that the sales are starting earlier and early this year. I actually am already done shopping for my son! I knew I wanted to get him one big present along with a few of his favorite wooden toys (think blocks, food for his kitchen, trains), and I already used FreeShipping.com to purchase them. I’ll be ready for Christmas early this year. ;)
5. Compare retailers. Before you “buy it now,” make sure you really are getting the best price. Consider free shipping, any coupon codes, and cash back offers. Then, make a decision. I sometimes might pay a few dollars more on the actual cost of the item, but know that I will receive receive free shipping and cash back through FreeShipping.com. It just depends on the item and price. FreeShipping.com has a search tool that instantly compares the prices of any of over 100 million items sold by our 10% cash-back retailers, so members can get the best possible deal. And, there’s Price Protection that pays members the difference in price if they purchase an item and find it advertised for less within 90 days.
You can also get return shipping rebates that cover the charges if you ever needs to return any online purchase — for any reason. I can see myself using this service for quite a while since I always have birthday presents or holiday gifts to give.
What’s your best tip for saving money during the holiday season?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Rustic Chic Christmas Decor Guide
Download Rustic Christmas Decor Ideas for creative inspiration for your holiday home decor. These home ideas are simple and easy for your busy holiday plans.