There seems to be the idea lately that in order to eat healthy, you need to spend a lot of money. But the truth is, there are plenty of frugal yet healthy choices you can enjoy. Your local dollar store can be a great place to find healthy and budget-friendly snacks right at your fingertips. Take a look below at 10 healthy food choices at your local dollar store then you need to keep your eyes out for!
1. Baked crackers. Dollar stores carry a variety of whole wheat and multi-grain baked crackers. Since these are multi-grain and not fried, you can enjoy them with less calories and fat. They make the perfect snack!
2. Nuts. Nuts such as peanuts, walnuts, almonds, cashews, and pistachios are easy snack choices. They are high in protein and healthy fats and oils, plus they taste great. Grab a small bag at your local dollar store for just a buck and see how tasty frugal eating can be.
3. Frozen vegetables. Most dollar stores have freezers these days, and you can find a variety of frozen vegetables. These are a great way to enjoy your vitamins and all of the benefits vegetables have to offer. Use these veggies in your cooking or as a tasty side.
4. Pretzels. Pretzels are baked and typically low in fat and calories. Grab some pretzels and mustard for dipping and you have the perfect savory snack.
5. Granola bars. Check out the granola bar selection at your local dollar store. Look for a variety that is low in fat and sugar and full of protein. These make great breakfasts on the go as well as the perfect afternoon snack.
6. Peanut butter. When enjoyed in moderation, peanut butter is a healthy choice that is full of healthy fats and oils. Enjoy a tablespoon along with your favorite crackers or pretzel sticks.
7. Bottled waters. Wet your whistle with bottle water, perfect for helping you achieve your daily water intake. Dollar stores sell bottles of water often in four packs for just a buck. Need some flavor? Add a packet of low-calorie drink mix to your water for some extra fun.
8. Dried fruit. Dried fruit is a great way to get your fruit intake up. Look for naturally dried fruits with little sugar or no sugar added. You can even mix the dried fruit with nuts and make your own trail mix.
9. Whole grain cereals. Check out the cereal selection for knock-offs of your favorite healthy cereals. Such varieties would include Raisin Bran and Cheerios variations.
10. Chicken broth. Chicken broth that is low in sodium can be a tasty and healthy treat. Grab a can and enjoy it as part of a healthy lunch or as a recipe additive.
Eating healthy doesn’t mean busting your budget. Give these healthy food choices a try the next time you are at your local dollar store!
What’s your favorite dollar store deal?
Looking for more dollar store shopping inspiration?
[amazon-related-products keywords=”healthy snacks”]
Take Control of Your Day!
Snag a free report to help you get organized PLUS access to my Trello template to show you how to implement these strategies in your everyday life.
Latest posts by Krystal | Sunny Sweet Days (see all)
- Pet Adoption Supplies Checklist - March 19, 2019
- Home Renovation Budget: How to Make the Most of It - March 18, 2019
- Greek Hummus Skewers - March 16, 2019