The dollar store can be a crafter’s delight, as most are filled with a wide assortment of project supplies. While it might be tempting to fill your cart with everything you see, know that there are a few items that are a better deal than others. Take a look below at 7 art supplies you should buy at the dollar store, and a few that you should avoid. By knowing these items, you can be sure you are getting the most for your crafting buck!
7 Art Supplies You Should Buy at the Dollar Store (And a few you should avoid!)
1. Wood craft sticks. Wood craft sticks are great for so many things! You can get several dozen for just $1, compared to $2.99 a package at big box craft stores. Grab a bag for a buck instead and build all of the houses, coasters, and puppets you want.
2. Crafting foam. You can find crafting foam sold in a multi-color pack for just $1 at your dollar store. Although the pieces are smaller, this is still a better value than the .69 cents or more per sheet a craft store will charge you. Buy craft foam at the dollar store instead craft away.
3. Beads. Dollar stores carry a huge selection of plastic and foam beads in a variety of colors and themes. Opt for these items at your dollar store instead of paying $3.99 and up per package at your local craft store. You won’t find glass beads, but you will still find plenty of durable and colorful choices.
4. Craft paper. Head to your dollar store for construction paper, poster board, and other paper supplies. For $1 per package, you will save a few dollars easily. Paper choices tend to vary from store to store, but you can at least count on the basics as mentioned above.
5. Glue sticks. If you use your hot glue gun often, be sure to snag glue sticks at your dollar store. The $1 price tag beats the $3 and up price tag most craft stores carry. You won’t find multi-temperature sticks, but you will be able to find the basics you need for your projects.
6. Stickers. Stickers at craft stores can get quite pricey. Instead, look to your dollar store for colorful and themed stickers perfect for card making, scrapbooking, and more. At just $1 per package, and often time multiple sheets per package, it is a better deal. I just bought a few sheets of Elmo stickers at Target after a very demanding toddler insisted, and I was shocked that the “sticker price” (ha!) was nearly $5!
7. Floral foam. Floral foam and white craft foam are a great deal at the dollar store. You can snag generously sized pieces for just a buck, while at most craft stores you are paying at least $3 and up. Use these to make pomanders, floral arrangements, and so much more.
So what are some of the other good deals at the dollar store? Silk flowers, white craft glue, markers, and crayons are all great deals and well worth the $1 price tag. You will typically pay less at the dollar store for these items than you would a big box craft store.
Now that you know what to keep an eye out for, here is what you should avoid. The following items can be found for less at Walmart and basic craft stores. These items include: Crafting pom poms, pipe cleaners, pencils, pens, and paint brushes. Items such as scissors and finger paints may seem like a good deal at a buck, but their quality is typically poor and not worth buying. Spend a little more and buy a more durable item instead.
Next time you are shopping for craft supplies, give the dollar store a try. As you can see, these 7 items (and a few more!) are sure deals when crafting on a budget!
Do you have any favorite supplies that you stock up on at the dollar store?
Need more dollar store deals?
Free Organization Toolkit
Join Sunny Sweet Days, my FREE online community to stay in touch for busy women! We talk about organization, home decor, health and wellness, simplicity, time management and more.