This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #RollIntoSavings #CollectiveBias
Sometimes the easiest recipes are the best, and I believe that you think so too. The recipes that have been re-shared or received a lot of comments on where the ones the needed just a few ingredients or were budget friendly meals. That’s why when I was looking to create a heartier salad that is perfect for dinner, I thought about my favorite recipes. A few years ago, I used to make this brown sugar chicken in the skillet. I loved it so much I would cook it once a week for dinners at least. It used honey mustard, brown sugar, a little bit of garlic, and chicken breasts. To spice it up and save some money, I tweaked the ingredients using Kraft Rollback pricing at Walmart. Meet the brown sugar bbq chicken salad.
Since meal planning can be exhausting or expensive, it’s nice to have a few go to ideas when things get tight around the 1st and 15th of the month. This salad is not only filling, but you can feed a family of four for under $20. Here’s how I did it.
I stopped by Walmart and picked up three Kraft items that are on Rollback. I was looking for salad dressing, sauce to use to cook the chicken breasts in, and I snagged an easy and cheap side.
I was excited to find Velveeta Shells in dinner cups along with a honey mustard barbecue sauce. I also grabbed Kraft Zesty Italian. All of these products have use beyond just one meal, so I would get my money out of them.
Here’s my price breakdown:
- Kraft ranch dressing – $2.83
- Kraft BBQ sauce – $1.26
- Kraft Velveeta – $3.25
- Bag of salad – $3
- Chicken breasts – $5
- Tomato – $1
- Brown sugar – $1
That comes to $14.09! I did use croutons and a tablespoon of cheese that I already had, but even I had purchased those items I would totally come under budget. Better yet, the dressings and seasonings will last for other meals throughout the month. The BBQ sauce is versatile so I can grill with it on the weekend, while the Velveeta cups are easy lunches during the work week.
While the chicken was cooking, I used Kraft Zesty Italian to create the salad. I tossed romaine lettuce, croutons, cheese, and tomatoes in the dressing before adding the main attraction (the brown sugar bbq chicken!).
Isn’t it pretty? I was surprised at how combining some of my favorite flavors would become a satisfying main dinner course. Salads are my favorite, but I usually save them for lunch. However, this chicken recipe made the meal become much more of a dinner. All in all, the prep time was under thirty minutes which is perfect for those busy weeknight meals. I used the Velveeta cups as an easy side, but the salad is certainly filling on its own.
- 2 tbsp Kraft Zesty Italian dressing
- 4 tbsp Kraft BBQ sauce (I used honey mustard)
- 1 salad kit, romaine
- 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large tomato, sliced and diced
- 3 tbsp of brown sugar
- Heat a greased large skillet on medium heat. Add chicken breasts and cover with BBQ sauce. Sprinkle brown sugar and use a spatula to coat each chicken breast.
- Cook until done while flipping every so often. The BBQ sauce will become thick and almost like a glaze.
- Remove from heat.
- Toss romaine lettuce in Italian dressing. Add sliced chicken breast, tomatoes, and other salad toppings to your desire.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
What’s your favorite budget friendly meal? Have you ever had brown sugar chicken?
Spring Cleaning Planner
Clean and get organized! Download your free spring cleaning printable planner.
Latest posts by Krystal | Sunny Sweet Days (see all)
- 4 Spaces to Update Before Selling Your Home - July 13, 2018
- Mini Ice Cream Sandwich Pops - July 13, 2018
- What the Flock? Summer Flamingo Party Ideas and Style Inspiration - July 13, 2018