This post was sponsored by Fresh From Florida as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central, however all opinions expressed are my own.
One of the best perks to living in Florida is that we have some of the best fresh-grown, fresh-raised or fresh-caught food available to us year round in our own backyard. This is especially true when it comes to fresh fish. Recently my dad and I had the opportunity to do some offshore fishing in South Florida and we were luck enough to bring home plenty of fresh mahi-mahi for dinner while we were chasing trophy billfish. Mahi, sometimes known as dorado or dolphin, is a popular sportfish down here that is prized for aerial displays when hooked and its mild flavor and firm, yet flaky, meat.
Although it usually tastes great no matter how you prepare it — it’s a favorite in many fried fish sandwich recipes — I like to use the fish-in-a-bag method when it was swimming the morning of. Here’s one of my favorite recipes for fresh fish, especially when it come to mahi. It is quick and healthy and because everything is fresh, very minimal seasoning is needed to bring out the natural flavors.
- 2 8oz. mahi filets
- 1 Florida onion
- 6-8 mini peppers
- 1 Key Lime
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tsp. Old Bay or Everglades seasoning
- Start out by spreading out a sheet of aluminum foil onto a baking pan, leaving plenty of overhang on both sides of the pan. This will be very important later. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thinly slice onions and peppers to create a bed of vegetables on the foil.
- Place filets on top of onions and peppers and squeeze Key lime juice over fish.
- Add seasonings.
- Fold the extra foil over and pinch shut to create a pouch.
- Try to make this pouch as airtight as possible as you want the ingredients to essentially steam themselves inside the bag and will allow the fish to absorb the pepper and onion flavors as it cooks. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- After removing the “bag," be careful when opening up the foil as the steam will be extremely hot.
Latest posts by Sunny Sweet Days (see all)
- How to Shop For a Sofa Online - June 28, 2017
- How to Keep in Touch With Friends and Family | Free Birthday Calendar Printable - June 27, 2017
- Easy Bathroom Decor Upgrades - June 26, 2017