Keeping your home clean and tidy can be a daunting task. Making matters worse, many popular daily cleaning products contain harmful chemicals that can be dangerous for your pets or children. A number of cleaning products contain denatured ethanol, glycol ethers, silicones and other harmful agents that may be damaging to your family and the environment. Green cleaning refers to the use of products that are non-toxic, environmentally friendly and can safely be used around pets and children. Here are some tips to help you clean your home the green way:
1. Furniture polish. When it comes to toxic cleaning products, many popular brands of furniture polish are near the top of the list. Polish is typically made using petroleum distillates and solvents which are not only hazardous, but smelly as well. Instead, try mixing 1 part lemon juice with two parts olive oil. Apply the solution to a soft cloth and use it to polish your furniture. Not only will the furniture be left with a sparkling shine, but it will smell good too.
2. Windows. Many popular window cleaners are ammonia-based. Instead, you can make your own window cleaner by using just a few items that you probably already have in your home. For a quick and easy window cleaning solution, mix 4 tablespoons of lemon juice with 32 ounces of water. To clean mirrors, try using witch hazel or rubbing alcohol as a cleaning agent.
3. Carpets. Carpet cleaning solutions can be especially hard on the environment. Many of them rely on powerful chemicals or additives to help lift deep stains from carpets. Even some “green” DIY carpet cleaning products can be harsh on the environment. For safe, eco-friendly carpet cleaning NYC, you may want to enlist the help of a professional service like Green Choice Carpet. Companies like this specialize in using natural, organic cleaning solutions to keep your carpets looking clean and smelling fresh.
4. Floors. Whether your floors are made of ceramic tile, vinyl, linoleum or wood, there is a single green cleaning solution that is perfect for them all. Take a gallon of warm water and mix in 1 cup of vinegar. Not only will this mixture clean your floor, but it will also get rid of any greasy buildup. Once the floor has dried, mop it again with pure club soda for a gentle shine.
Committing to green cleaning can be challenging at first, but it is well worth the time and energy. Green cleaning solutions are not only environmentally friendly, but also safe for use around your family and pets. These 4 simple tips will help you keep your home neat, clean and green.
Latest posts by Sunny Sweet Days (see all)
- Learn How to Pick the Best Wood Door For Your Home - February 21, 2017
- Office Organization: How to Avoid Distractions to Get Things Done - February 21, 2017
- How to Create an Inspirational Office - February 20, 2017