This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of BlogHer. All opinions are 100% mine.
Need a new year’s gift idea for your best blog buddy or want to surprise your tribe? #BlogHer17 is taking place June 22-24 at the Hilton Bonnet Creek in Orlando, Florida, and the SUPER-EARLYBIRD pricing for a full pass is ONLY good from now until 12/31! Don’t miss out on the event of the year.
I used to say that “good” conferences never came to my home state of Florida, however, I can no longer say that! Over the past few years, Florida bloggers have been lucky to have so many events that are tailored to our interested. With the arrival of BlogHer17, 2017 is already looking bright!
Find out more information about the conference and Earlybird special here: BlogHer17 Tickets
1. Make your business cards stand out. In a sea of colorful cards, do something to set yours apart. My business cards are not standard size. Instead, they are a perfect square. It’s not something too unique, but it does receive compliments! I might redesign them for these upcoming conferences, but I love the statement that they make since photography is the main focus of them.
2. Ask questions. During the sessions, keep track of things that you would like further clarification on! There is almost always a question and answer session at the end, and if not, this is a perfect conversation starter when you run into the speaker later. I found myself sitting next to conference speakers at other events and I was so glad I not only paid attention during their presentation, but that I had a take away to discuss.
3. Take notes. The first blog event I attended, I took notes in a notebook. While this was fine, I soon learned that it was not that convenient! I always try to share my notes on my blog, and having to retype everything into WordPress was not so much fun. I quickly discovered that it was much more time efficient (and easy!) to bring along my Chromebook. I type all my conference notes in a Google Doc, and it’s easy to share on my blog. Not only that, but you can add other conference attendees and share each other’s notes!
4. Bring your camera. I was a member of a blog conference group earlier this year, and they almost unanimously said to skip bringing your camera. “Just bring your phone.” Maybe because photography is something I’m trying to improve upon or because it is so important that I share high quality images on this website, but that didn’t sit well with me. Most of my phone photos from indoors just don’t come out right (I have an iPhone). The lighting is awful or they can be fuzzy. I would much rather lug along my SLR and take great images that I can share on my blog. Besides, my phone died SO quickly at the last conference that I try to not use it for photos if I can!
5. Extra chargers are key. To go along with my last point, using your phone for everything will quickly drain it! I definitely recommend an external charger (or taking along your charger and finding an outlet!). Sometimes I find power strips in conference halls that some kind soul brought along, so you shouldn’t have to worry about not having a phone. It’s just nice to have an extra external charger or battery stick to power up!
6. Use the hashtag! Most conferences and events have hashtags, and it is such a great tool for communicating during the event. If you are heading to the conference alone (like I am for this one!), it’s an easy way to tweet out that you’re by the pool having drinks or heading out to an event. I saw many people at the last conference do this and make new friends. :) Sometimes the conference will even live stream the tweets with the hashtag, and this is great for your brand visibility!
My best piece of advice involves the return on investment with a blog conference. Is it worth it? The answer is always yes. You might not need a Pinterest 101 session or a photography tutorial. Yet, it’s the brands and other bloggers that attend that is worthwhile. The connections made in person can help you grow as a person and as a blogger. Remember, this is your business. Treat it like one.
Here’s Top Five reasons to attend BlogHer17:
- You’ll make CONNECTIONS: The world’s largest conference for women content creators means the most people + the most brands = the most opportunity.
- You’ll be INSPIRED: Hear from stellar keynote speakers in an informal conversational format.
- You’ll LEARN: Learn what you need to “level up” your efforts.
- You’ll be MOVED: By the stories and voices of your online community.
- You’ll have FUN: Famous for its after parties…plan to learn all day and connect with your fellow attendees in more informal ways all evening.
Latest posts by Sunny Sweet Days (see all)
- Blackberry Kiwi Cocktail | Fresh Fruit Cocktail Bar - May 26, 2017
- Your Summer Pool Essentials | Pool Travel Printable - May 22, 2017
- How To Find The Right Fabric For Your DIY Project - May 18, 2017