Sometimes you just need a quick rainy day activity. These Florida summer thunderstorms are so predictable, and they can totally wreak havoc on our afternoon park plans. We have heavy rain and lightning nearly every afternoon during the summer months (in fact, it is seriously raining right now!), and my busy preschooler needs something to entertain him. For a fun activity that you can tie back to reading, try making paper plate crafts to pair with a favorite story!
Pete the Cat is a family favorite character, and A Pet For Pete shows off a cute goldfish. We actually have goldfish, so my son enjoys the colorful photos and overall pet theme. We created a simple paper plate craft to make our own pet for Pete!
To get started, gather your materials.
- Pete the Cat A Pet For Pete children’s book
- Paper plate
- Sky blue craft paint
- Paint brush
- Orange card stock
- Black crayon or marker
1. Cut the top off your paper plate with your scissors making a slight “C” shape
2. Using your blue paint and paint brush and paint a straight line about an 1″ under where you cut and let dry
3. Cut a basic fish shape out of your orange card stock and draw on a eye, mouth, and fin with your black crayon
4. Now glue the piece you cut from your plate upside down and just under the bottom on your plate
5. Glue Pete’s pet fish onto the water on the fish bowl and let your fishy bowl dry.
Zenni Optical encourages families to enjoy their favorite books whether it’s around the campfire, at the beach or pool, in the car for a family road trip, or reenacting their favorite book scenes during outdoor play. With clear vision, anything is possible! Zenni offers prescription and non-prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses so families can see and experience the best of summer. They offer new styles for kids, and their affordable prices means you can get the right look and quality frames quickly! Seeing is For Reading!
Leave a comment to enter to win a $50 Zenni Optical gift card. US residents only. Share your favorite children’s book for a chance to win!
This post was sponsored on behalf of Zenni Optical. All opinions stated are my own.