When I first met my husband, we used to do Seafood Sundays. It became a tradition while we dated and throughout our first year or so of marriage. We would grill fish or he would show me how to eat snow crab. I’m still terrible at eating snow crab, and I can never seem to master those pesky claws. Either way, he showed me that there were a few kinds of flavors that I did enjoy. I didn’t grow up on seafood dishes, but now I can’t imagine life without shrimp or crab! One of my favorite appetizers? Crab cakes!
There are so many different ways to prepare crab cakes, and sometimes I buy them already cooked. When I have time, I like to get creative. I’m trying to experiment in the kitchen, and here is a fun combination to make crab cakes with a bit of flair!
Try avocado and quinoa along with your favorite crab meat for a fun appetizer that is perfect for summer!
- 1 package of lump crab or imitation crab
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (cook according to package directions)
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 tsp. Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the crab, egg white, breadcrumbs, cooked quinoa, mashed avocado, green onions, Mrs. Dash Seasoning and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- If the mixture is too dry, add a little bit more avocado so it sticks.
- If the mixture is too wet, add a little bit more quinoa or breadcrumbs.
- Heat a medium size pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Scoop a 2 tablespoon portion of the mixture out into the pan and gently use the back of the spoon to press down and flatten the crab cakes.
- Cook 3-4 minutes on one side until browned.
- Gently flip and brown the other side for another 3-4 minutes until heated and cooked through.
Do you like crab cakes or seafood?
Free Organization Toolkit
Join Sunny Sweet Days, my FREE online community to stay in touch for busy women! We talk about organization, home decor, health and wellness, simplicity, time management and more for your online website.
Latest posts by Sunny Sweet Days (see all)
- How to Create Simple Habits - September 19, 2017
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Fall Bulbs | Fall Gardening Tips - September 19, 2017
- Bringing the Comfort and Style of the Ocean into Your Home | Coastal Home Decor Ideas - September 18, 2017