This recipe is for those cold nights when you just want to snuggle up on the couch. If you’re not exhausted from holiday cooking just yet, try this sausage butternut squash soup. It’s creamy and savory, and it’s the perfect dish for a nice Saturday or Sunday spent at home.
I admit that I’m not the biggest fan of squash, but there are a few times I can get behind a dish using it. One of those times? When there’s sausage! All together it is a filling soup that showed me that I might just really like squash after all.
If you need the perfect soup to take you from fall to winter, try this one!
- 1 lbs. Ground Sausage
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 Medium Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Ground Sage
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 3-4 lbs. Butternut Squash, peeled and chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- In a Dutch oven, brown the Sausage over medium heat. Break it up into as fine a crumble as you can.
- Drain and set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven add the Olive oil, Carrots and onion and increase heat to medium high. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the Garlic, Sage, Salt, Pepper and Nutmeg let cook one minute.
- Add the Butternut Squash and add just enough water to cover all the ingredients, about 3 cups.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer until the squash and carrots are soft enough to mash with a spoon against the side of the pot.
- Add the Butter and stir until melted.
- Working in batches pour the soup into a blender and puree.
- Return the pureed soup back to the Dutch oven and add the browned Sausage over medium heat until warmed through.
- Ladle into bowls and top with parsley for garnish.
- Serve hot.
What’s your favorite soup?
Free Organization Toolkit
Join Sunny Sweet Days, my FREE online community to stay in touch for busy women! We talk about organization, home decor, health and wellness, simplicity, time management and more for your online website.