This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #RollIntoSavings #CollectiveBias
Sometimes the easiest recipes are the best, and I believe that you think so too. The recipes that have been re-shared or received a lot of comments on where the ones the needed just a few ingredients or were budget friendly meals. That’s why when I was looking to create a heartier salad that is perfect for dinner, I thought about my favorite recipes. A few years ago, I used to make this brown sugar chicken in the skillet. I loved it so much I would cook it once a week for dinners at least. It used honey mustard, brown sugar, a little bit of garlic, and chicken breasts. To spice it up and save some money, I tweaked the ingredients using Kraft Rollback pricing at Walmart. Meet the brown sugar bbq chicken salad.
Since meal planning can be exhausting or expensive, it’s nice to have a few go to ideas when things get tight around the 1st and 15th of the month. This salad is not only filling, but you can feed a family of four for under $20. Here’s how I did it.
I stopped by Walmart and picked up three Kraft items that are on Rollback. I was looking for salad dressing, sauce to use to cook the chicken breasts in, and I snagged an easy and cheap side.
I was excited to find Velveeta Shells in dinner cups along with a honey mustard barbecue sauce. I also grabbed Kraft Zesty Italian. All of these products have use beyond just one meal, so I would get my money out of them.
Here’s my price breakdown:
- Kraft ranch dressing – $2.83
- Kraft BBQ sauce – $1.26
- Kraft Velveeta – $3.25
- Bag of salad – $3
- Chicken breasts – $5
- Tomato – $1
- Brown sugar – $1
That comes to $14.09! I did use croutons and a tablespoon of cheese that I already had, but even I had purchased those items I would totally come under budget. Better yet, the dressings and seasonings will last for other meals throughout the month. The BBQ sauce is versatile so I can grill with it on the weekend, while the Velveeta cups are easy lunches during the work week.
While the chicken was cooking, I used Kraft Zesty Italian to create the salad. I tossed romaine lettuce, croutons, cheese, and tomatoes in the dressing before adding the main attraction (the brown sugar bbq chicken!).
Isn’t it pretty? I was surprised at how combining some of my favorite flavors would become a satisfying main dinner course. Salads are my favorite, but I usually save them for lunch. However, this chicken recipe made the meal become much more of a dinner. All in all, the prep time was under thirty minutes which is perfect for those busy weeknight meals. I used the Velveeta cups as an easy side, but the salad is certainly filling on its own.
- 2 tbsp Kraft Zesty Italian dressing
- 4 tbsp Kraft BBQ sauce (I used honey mustard)
- 1 salad kit, romaine
- 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large tomato, sliced and diced
- 3 tbsp of brown sugar
- Heat a greased large skillet on medium heat. Add chicken breasts and cover with BBQ sauce. Sprinkle brown sugar and use a spatula to coat each chicken breast.
- Cook until done while flipping every so often. The BBQ sauce will become thick and almost like a glaze.
- Remove from heat.
- Toss romaine lettuce in Italian dressing. Add sliced chicken breast, tomatoes, and other salad toppings to your desire.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
What’s your favorite budget friendly meal? Have you ever had brown sugar chicken?
Latest posts by Sunny Sweet Days (see all)
- How to Prioritize Your Goals - March 20, 2017
- Creative Ways To Eat More Fruits and Vegetables - March 15, 2017
- Eight Places To Visit During Your Honeymoon To Italy - March 14, 2017